Channeling the spirit of the times | Rocco Bone

Friday, March 4, 2011

Channeling the spirit of the times

Some time ago I read an interview with Katy Perry. It made my piss boil.
I was so enraged that I decided to do a portrait of Katy Perry. I spent hours thinking and thinking and not a single convincing concept to show for. And then Eddie from the Iron Maiden album covers appeared inside my head and Boom!
Eddie’s too obvious... how about the Devil? And Katy Perry’s a reptilian shapeshifter? Sure, fuck yeah, why not.
While looking for forums where I could vent my anger I stumbled upon the facebook page Petition: Bring Iron Maiden back to New Zealand. One of their posts read:

“TVNZ: ‘EMI...The home of Katy Perry and Iron Maiden.’ and they showed a picture of Katy Perry. WTF!? Iron Maiden have been with EMI since their first album was released in 1980 and 13 of their albums have gone Gold/Platinum world wide! They have achieved SOOOOOOOOO much more than that WHORE Katy Perry.”

And it got me thinking “That’s right.”
Today I come to find that “Lady Gaga makes it 3 weeks in a row atop the Billboard Hot 100”
And once more taking up the Iron Maiden motif:
Katy Perry and Lady Gaga battling it out in hell
From Lady Gaga top of the charts

No comments: